Dixonverse Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 04:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Stats
103969 Posts in 2276 Topics by 161 Members
Latest Member: Pastor Jared
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dixonverse Message Board
|-+  Dixonverse Message Boards
| |-+  The Dixonverse Free For All Morgy Morgue
| | |-+  Miscellaneous Topic Archive
| | | |-+  The Once Great And Powerful Wacky Image Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 107 Print
Author Topic: The Once Great And Powerful Wacky Image Thread  (Read 112901 times)
The Sprat
« Reply #1740 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »

Huh:

Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1741 on: May 03, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »

Mercatorized maps lie to us all.

Anyone who's driven the length of Maine can tell you that.

Bane has two daddies.
Bav
« Reply #1742 on: May 03, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »

Is THAT map above even correct?

I mean, look at the size of the UK compared to the US. The USA from north to south is only the length of 2 UKs.....
Glen Davis
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: May 03, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »

Mercatorized maps lie to us all.

Anyone who's driven the length of Maine can tell you that.

All maps lie, due to trying to convey three dimensions of vast distance into two dimensions on a piece of paper..

The Offical Dixonverse necromancer
Mr. White
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1744 on: May 03, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »

"A survey with random American schoolkids let them guess the population and land area of their country."

I'm sorry, but what adult who doesn't work for Rand-McNalley could come close to guessing the land area of the US?  I'm pretty good with geography, but I've never paid attention to the numbers.  There's a huge difference between knowing how many square miles something is and just knowing what countries are larger than others. 

Also, I didn't know people misjudged the size of Africa that much.  It's the second largest continent.  How else are you going to judge it besides, "It's freakin' HUGE!" ?
They make it sound like it's astounding that Africa is larger than all those countries"...combined!"  Well, that might be astounding if Africa were just a country, for instance that China is just about as big as all those countries combined (excluding the U.S.)  Now that's kind of impressive.  It's not that impressive that a continent, which is made up of a bunch of countries, is as big as a bunch of countries put together.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:49:55 PM by Mr. White » Logged

Chapel
Shogun

Face for radio. Voice for mime. Born to blog.

View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: May 03, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »

Puts them Haggard novels in perspective.

The end has just begun

- Set the World Afire from So Far, So Good... So What?, Megadeth
evilbunnyfoofoo
Ignorant Slut of the Dixonverse
Bat-Moderator
Shogun

Another day, another disaster.

View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 03, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »

I didn't read the info on the picture at first and thought it was inferring that Africa sucked so hard that if there was actual intake of continental breath that it would inhale all those other countries into its belly.

Call me embarrassed.  Roll Eyes

I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Mr. White
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1747 on: May 03, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »

Nah, this is the latest continental drift theory.

Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1748 on: May 03, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »

As well as the search for the Nile's source.

Maybe Opar does exists. They just misplaced it.

Bane has two daddies.
Kevin Findley
Shogun

The Phantom Brewer and Low Road Warrior!

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »

As well as the search for the Nile's source.

Maybe Opar does exists. They just misplaced it.

ooo la La! 

Grin

"We will find a way, or make one!" - Hannibal
"I will find a beer, or brew one!" - Me
See What I Did There?

Proud Member of the D'verse George Lazenby Fanclub
Thane-dami
Shogun

Odami is slowly switching to his real name

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1750 on: May 03, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »

Speaking of wacky images, if Kevin doesn't have a Swordsman 'stache in real life I'll be real disapointed.
Kevin Findley
Shogun

The Phantom Brewer and Low Road Warrior!

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: May 03, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »

Speaking of wacky images, if Kevin doesn't have a Swordsman 'stache in real life I'll be real disapointed.

It's a full on 'Mirror Universe' evil 'stache and goatee. 

"We will find a way, or make one!" - Hannibal
"I will find a beer, or brew one!" - Me
See What I Did There?

Proud Member of the D'verse George Lazenby Fanclub
Rex Dart
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:18 AM »

"A survey with random American schoolkids let them guess the population and land area of their country."

I'm sorry, but what adult who doesn't work for Rand-McNalley could come close to guessing the land area of the US?  I'm pretty good with geography, but I've never paid attention to the numbers.  There's a huge difference between knowing how many square miles something is and just knowing what countries are larger than others. 

Also, I didn't know people misjudged the size of Africa that much.  It's the second largest continent.  How else are you going to judge it besides, "It's freakin' HUGE!" ?
They make it sound like it's astounding that Africa is larger than all those countries"...combined!"  Well, that might be astounding if Africa were just a country, for instance that China is just about as big as all those countries combined (excluding the U.S.)  Now that's kind of impressive.  It's not that impressive that a continent, which is made up of a bunch of countries, is as big as a bunch of countries put together.

Fortunately, I learned all about this stuff ages ago from state-sponsored educational programming:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zm6HzN5YVI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zm6HzN5YVI</a>

"Stark always looks all sharp and neat but I put on a shirt with buttons and I look like that guy in that movie where he dies at the end."
    -- Clint Barton
Bav
« Reply #1753 on: May 04, 2012, 07:44:01 AM »

Mr. White
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1754 on: May 04, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »

My bet is that Spidey is slated for Avengers 2, especially if Amazing Spider-Man does anything except sink like a rock.

The Sprat
« Reply #1755 on: May 04, 2012, 08:24:53 AM »

I believe the Spidey movies are by a completely different company than the one who has released the last big spate of Marvel U movies that have led to Avengers, hence no crossover.

Ditto for X-Men.
Mr. White
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1756 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »

The old ones were, but I was pretty sure the new movie was back under the Marvel banner.

Rex Dart
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 04, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »

The old ones were, but I was pretty sure the new movie was back under the Marvel banner.

I think it's the opposite, actually.  My understanding is that Sony's contract allows them to keep the Spider-Man license for... a long time (maybe even in perpetuity, though it's hard to imagine Marvel being quite THAT dumb), but only so long as they keep making Spider-Man movies. 

That's the reason the new movie exists, pretty much - after Sam Raimi dropped out of the franchise, the idea was to crank out a relatively cheap Spider-Man film as a "placeholder", presumably until they get another big budget Spidey movie a few years down the line with bigger names, etc.

Though there's some suggestion that, while this may have been the *plan*, the new movie actually is a big-budget affair (going from $80m to $220m), perhaps because the suits realized "Hey, this is actually a pretty good movie!"

OTOH, this might just be hype.  Even if you are trying to make a cheap "placeholder to fulfill contractual obligations" movie, you don't want to advertise that fact.

"Stark always looks all sharp and neat but I put on a shirt with buttons and I look like that guy in that movie where he dies at the end."
    -- Clint Barton
The Sprat
« Reply #1758 on: May 04, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »

I think it's the opposite, actually.  My understanding is that Sony's contract allows them to keep the Spider-Man license for... a long time (maybe even in perpetuity, though it's hard to imagine Marvel being quite THAT dumb), but only so long as they keep making Spider-Man movies.  

That's the reason the new movie exists, pretty much - after Sam Raimi dropped out of the franchise, the idea was to crank out a relatively cheap Spider-Man film as a "placeholder", presumably until they get another big budget Spidey movie a few years down the line with bigger names, etc.

That was pretty much my understanding, too.

EDIT: Yep, this one's still being made by Columbia/Sony:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Spider-Man_%282012_film%29
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:55:40 AM by The Sprat » Logged
Bav
« Reply #1759 on: May 04, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

This is where my lack of business understanding shows...

Why wouldn't Columbia/Sony (spider-man) or Fox (x-men) give permission to tie their movies into the Marvel movieverse for a piece of that billion-dollar pie?

don't give Marvel full rights, just make them pay for usage.
The Sprat
« Reply #1760 on: May 04, 2012, 09:07:29 AM »

This is where my lack of business understanding shows...

Why wouldn't Columbia/Sony (spider-man) or Fox (x-men) give permission to tie their movies into the Marvel movieverse for a piece of that billion-dollar pie?

don't give Marvel full rights, just make them pay for usage.

If I had to guess? They probably can't agree on how big everyone's slice of pie is going to be.

That's a lot of what sunk the Halo movie deal I referenced in another thread, I believe.
Rex Dart
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 04, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »

Not to mention that there would be a lot of complexity when it comes to ancillaries.  Making a deal to have Spider-Man make a cameo in Avengers might be relatively straightforward.  But can Spidey be in the Avengers coloring book?  Spider-shaped pasta in the Avengers themed pasta?  Etc.

-- Clint Barton
The Sprat
« Reply #1762 on: May 04, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »

Not to mention that there would be a lot of complexity when it comes to ancillaries.  Making a deal to have Spider-Man make a cameo in Avengers might be relatively straightforward.  But can Spidey be in the Avengers coloring book?  Spider-shaped pasta in the Avengers themed pasta?  Etc.

Actors, too. Andrew Garfield might have signed on for X amount of Spidey sequels, but would a major role in an Avengers movie count as one of those sequels? Probably not, so they'd have re-negotiate that contract, etc etc.
Chapel
Shogun

Face for radio. Voice for mime. Born to blog.

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »

Business is dumb.

The end has just begun

- Set the World Afire from So Far, So Good... So What?, Megadeth
John Morgan 'Bat' Neal
Fearmaker
Administrator
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1764 on: May 04, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »

Marvel made a lot of bad deals back in the day.  Hence why there was no Torch in the second FF cartoon and why Marvel movies were the poster boy for BAD.   Now that Marvel can produce them themselves they keep the rest of their characters in house.  But Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four and a couple of others are still in old deals. 

And the whole super greedy aspect of these things is also why the live action TV Batman is not on DVD and why the Six Million Dollar Man only recently made it to DVD.  When you mix in more than one production company or rights holder it becomes a boondoggle. 

R.B. Propst
Bat-Moderator
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 04, 2012, 08:05:08 PM »

A couple Star Wars Day offerings:

R.B. Propst
Bat-Moderator
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 07, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »

Chuck