Dixonverse Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 02:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
News
Watch this space for Chuck related news!
Stats
109065 Posts in 2715 Topics by 162 Members
Latest Member: Pastor Jared
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dixonverse Message Board
|-+  Dixonverse Message Boards
| |-+  The Dixonverse Free For All Morgy Morgue
| | |-+  TV and Movie Discussion Archive
| | | |-+  I was skeptical about Johnny Depp as Tonto anyway...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: I was skeptical about Johnny Depp as Tonto anyway...  (Read 4505 times)
Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 11126

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »

Does Cassaday do ANY research? Look at that bullet that the Ranger is holding out to us. Or should I say suppository because no bullet ever looked like that. Where's the cartridge?

And the horse on the other cover. The anatomy makes no sense. He gave the animal shoulders. It's almost like he didn't understand the photo he was tracing.

Sergio showed me one of Cassaday's covers once and I pointed out that the Ranger was riding what was obviously a carousel horse.

Bane has two daddies.
R.B. Propst
Bat-Moderator
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 325

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »

Sergio showed me one of Cassaday's covers once and I pointed out that the Ranger was riding what was obviously a carousel horse.

I bet it was this one:

DanD66
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: -64661

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »

Does Cassaday do ANY research? Look at that bullet that the Ranger is holding out to us. Or should I say suppository because no bullet ever looked like that. Where's the cartridge?

And the horse on the other cover. The anatomy makes no sense. He gave the animal shoulders. It's almost like he didn't understand the photo he was tracing.

Yet another improvement Dynamite has made for v.2... Cassaday isn't doing the covers anymore!

Captain_Marvel
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 537

Bostonian Numero Dos

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

Francavilla is the MAN.

"Finding success in a Michael Bay film is like finding the Virgin Mary on a slice of toast, but less rewarding."
                          -Roger Ebert
Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »

I bet it was this one:

That's pretty bad but this one is even more egregious:

Look where the saddle is set. And the girth of the animal and length of its legs are less than half of what they should be.

Bane has two daddies.
Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »

Francavilla is the MAN.

Indeed.  And one hell of a charming guy in person.

Bane has two daddies.
R.B. Propst
Bat-Moderator
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »

Francavilla is the MAN.

His run on Zorro was terrific.  And if you want a real treat track down his work on a series called The Black Coat.  It's about a Revolutionary War hero in a similar vein as Zorro.  Great stuff.
Michael Hutchison
Hutchified!
Fist St. Pow

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 166

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »

Watch the recent Green Hornet film for a glimpse of what this will be like.  Not good.

The only idea like this I've ever seen work is Without a Clue

And Without a Clue only works because it is an unofficial comedy, and because lovers of authentic Sherlock Holmes have a dozen alternatives.

If they are making the first real attempt at a Lone Ranger film since that awful 70s one, then I want authentic Lone Ranger!!!  I don't want to see him without his mask, and I want Tonto to be his sidekick, and I even want Tonto to wrestle with English because it's not his native language.  (He doesn't have to say "Me do" like Jay Silverheels.)

The reason I disliked Lansdale's "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Break Up" was that it had land-pirates in covered wagon sailboats and an alien mummy.  After the recent "Three Musketeers with wire-fu on Zeppelins" fiasco and the "Jonah Hex" film that seemed to have the Joe Lansdale Hex as its only influence, I'm hoping that that someone involved with this new movie will have watched an episode or two of Clayton Moore and is using that as the guidewire.

Michael Hutchison, writer of Metro Med

DanD66
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

...I'm hoping that that someone involved with this new movie will have watched an episode or two of Clayton Moore and is using that as the guidewire.

If that were the case they wouldn't have hired either Johnny Depp or Gore Verbinski.
Kevin Findley
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 510

The Phantom Brewer and Low Road Warrior!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »

Francavilla is the MAN.

His run on Zorro was terrific.  And if you want a real treat track down his work on a series called The Black Coat.  It's about a Revolutionary War hero in a similar vein as Zorro.  Great stuff.

I'll second RB here.  The Black Coat is a great book.

"We will find a way, or make one!" - Hannibal
"I will find a beer, or brew one!" - Me
See What I Did There?

Proud Member of the D'verse George Lazenby Fanclub
Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »

How to write a good Lone Ranger story:

1) Write a solid, entertaining, suspenseful action western.

2) Insert the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Bane has two daddies.
Scott McCullar
Shaft
Post Modern Pioneer

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 153

I'm Superfly T.N.T. I'm the Guns of the Navarone!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/08/first-image-of-the-lone-ranger-and-tonto-as-played-by-armie-hammer-and-johnny-depp/

The first pic of the Ranger and Tonto has been posted.

Um, it looks pretty bad, at least on the Tonto end.  I'm not sure why he has a crow on his head.

While it's a bit jarring at first I could get used to the Ranger being in the black suit.  It seems a bit impractical in a fight but it does add a bit of style.  Wink

I don't think this Lone Ranger's mask was cut from the cloth of his dead brother's black vest.

Scott McCullar
aka "Shaft"
DanD66
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »

After two issues, that appears to be the template that Ande Parks is following. 

I'm still waiting for the Chuck (Don't call me Chick) Dixon issues, though!  Any word on when?
Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »

After two issues, that appears to be the template that Ande Parks is following. 

I'm still waiting for the Chuck (Don't call me Chick) Dixon issues, though!  Any word on when?

Plotlines approved and signing the contracts this week.

Bane has two daddies.
DanD66
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »

Plotlines approved and signing the contracts this week.

R.B. Propst
Bat-Moderator
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/13/johnny-depp-armie-hammer-lone-ranger-set-pictures/

Here're a couple more pictures from the set.  This Hammer guy looks pretty good as John Reid and the Ranger.  I'm still not sure about Depp's Tonto though (granted, the pic of him is with a set visitor but he's still in that terrible get up).
Glen Davis
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: -40

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »

http://screenrant.com/lone-ranger-images-johnny-depp-tongo-navajo-nation-kofi-165690/

I always wonder what goes on at these meetings, but something tells me I'm better off not knowing.

The Offical Dixonverse necromancer
R.B. Propst
Bat-Moderator
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/johnny-depp-reveals-why-tonto-puts-bird-223317067.html

Johnny Depp explains how he came up with his his look for Tonto.  The face paint I get now.  But the reason for the "bird hat" is still stupid, especially since he misunderstood the source material.
Mr. White
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 487

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »

I have less and less interest in this every time I see something about it.  Good to know this version will by "funny".  That seems to be the prevailing description.  Doesn't sound like the Lone Ranger to me.  I don't know what TV show he was watching, but the original Tonto was a dignified partner.  Which is far more than this Tonto looks to be.

Hodge
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 386

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/johnny-depp-reveals-why-tonto-puts-bird-223317067.html

Johnny Depp explains how he came up with his his look for Tonto.  The face paint I get now.  But the reason for the "bird hat" is still stupid, especially since he misunderstood the source material.

FFS - this almost sounds like the Brando situation in Superman where he was seeing how far he could push with daft concepts for Jor-El until Donner would put his foot down.
DanD66
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »

More news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17840014

After seeing the photos posted earlier, there is 0% chance I will ever see this movie, so the composer doesn't make any difference to me either way. 
Andy
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 132

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:21 AM »

It's strange to think that I used to like Depp as an actor because he's rapidly become radioactive to me, his presence in a film ensuring that I avoid it as much as possible.
The Sprat
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »

It's strange to think that I used to like Depp as an actor because he's rapidly become radioactive to me, his presence in a film ensuring that I avoid it as much as possible.

I was just thinking this myself recently. Pirates of the Caribbean seems to have been the tipping point; everything after that it's like he decided to use his powers for evil instead of good. Or at least that most of his characters thereafter needed to be some living cartoon a la Jack Sparrow, the more garish the better.
DanD66
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »

I was just thinking this myself recently. Pirates of the Caribbean seems to have been the tipping point; everything after that it's like he decided to use his powers for evil instead of good. Or at least that most of his characters thereafter needed to be some living cartoon a la Jack Sparrow, the more garish the better.

He really is the modern day Brando, as Hodge suggested earlier.
Sean Burnham
The BIG Chinch
Fist St. Pow

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 201

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »

Actually if you look at it, not much has changed for Depp in terms of what he chooses. He always took projects he liked vs. the payday. Before Pirates most of those movies were not popular. His agents were sometimes worried about the films he chose because it was "hurting" his career. Films like Secret Window for instance I believe it made it's $40 million  budget back but only by a bit. He didn't have the options he does now. The major difference is he now has the options to take anything he likes. So really the only thing that has changed is with Pirates he tapped into that audience that will go to see what ever he is in crap or good. The 16 - 30 or so demographic.
The Sprat
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »

I have often speculated that Brando, the "Method" actor that he was, went legitimately insane so that he could convincingly play Colonel Kurtz, but he never recovered.
DanD66
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »

I have often speculated that Brando, the "Method" actor that he was, went legitimately insane so that he could convincingly play Colonel Kurtz, but he never recovered.

That's brilliant!   Cheesy

Maybe Brando took over Depp's mind after Don Juan DeMarco?  Kind of like what Curt Jurgens did to Alan Alda in The Mephisto Waltz!
The Sprat
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »

That's brilliant!   Cheesy

Maybe Brando took over Depp's mind after Don Juan DeMarco?  Kind of like what Curt Jurgens did to Alan Alda in The Mephisto Waltz!

Hmm, I dunno. As many indignities as he suffered his body through during his (first?) lifetime, I don't think Brando would have ever subjected himself to anything so wretched as Depp's Mad Hatter makeup.
Chapel
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 377

Face for radio. Voice for mime. Born to blog.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »

Brando did call him this generation's greatest actor.  And he IS right, it's just that the true greats do not handle success well.

And so spaketh Spr@t, everyone who worked on Apocalypse Now lost it after that.  Kids worth it though...

The end has just begun

- Set the World Afire from So Far, So Good... So What?, Megadeth
shyguy
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 207

tire tread on burst stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:04 AM »

Duvall never lost it

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: