Dixonverse Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 05:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
News
Watch this space for Chuck related news!
Stats
109867 Posts in 2740 Topics by 162 Members
Latest Member: Pastor Jared
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Dixonverse Message Board
|-+  Dixonverse Message Boards
| |-+  Dixonverse Free For All
| | |-+  Looks like the Anti-Monitor got James Robinson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looks like the Anti-Monitor got James Robinson  (Read 382 times)
Kevin Findley
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 509

The Phantom Brewer and Low Road Warrior!

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »

He's leaving Earth 2 with issue 16.  Weird, as he was describing the future of the book back in March and expected to be there in 2014. 

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45574

"We will find a way, or make one!" - Hannibal
"I will find a beer, or brew one!" - Me
See What I Did There?

Proud Member of the D'verse George Lazenby Fanclub
DanD66
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: -64659

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »

He's leaving Earth 2 with issue 16.  Weird, as he was describing the future of the book back in March and expected to be there in 2014. 

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45574

"Anti-Monitor" being Dan Didio's new nickname?
Kevin Findley
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

Nah.  I'm just referencing the original Crisis and how it destroyed entire universes.  With Robinson gone, I don't see this book surviving for long. 

I see Didio more as Dr. Light.

See What I Did There?

Brit
"I am the law!"
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 744

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »

That's a shame. I was enjoying that book. Not Robinson's best, but creative and entertaining. I'm also skeptical that it can survive his tenure.
Rex Dart
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 264

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »

I think someone on another forum nailed the reason behind this move:

I suspect writers improperly and excessively interfering with the management process.

BTW, on an unrelated(?) tangent, someone posted this, the New 52 version of Ma Hunkle:

So, um, yeah.  Between this an Amanda Waller, it really does look like there's a "No Fat Chicks" mandate in place at DC.

In other DC news, Rich Johnston thinks a shakeup at the very top of Warner might have implications for DC:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/16/how-the-warner-bros-shakeup-may-shakeup-dc-comics/

Paul Levitz was new CEO Kevin Tsujihara's guy before he moved on to a position that no longer gave him oversight of DC Comics.  So at the very least he has no particular ties to the current DC people, and does have ties to the guy they pushed out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:20:53 PM by suedenim » Logged

"Stark always looks all sharp and neat but I put on a shirt with buttons and I look like that guy in that movie where he dies at the end."
    -- Clint Barton
Duane Thomas
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 147

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

Wow, so now we can have the current DC crap available digitally to a much greater level? Be still my heart.

Amateurs do it til they get it right; professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.
CyberDramon
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 201

:D !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »

I'm surprised that they didn't update the pot to a newer, fancier design.  That pot is so pre-DCnU.
Duane Thomas
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »

Well, in fairness, they have updated her body type from Ma Kettle to Playboy Playmate.

Amateurs do it til they get it right; professionals do it til they can't get it wrong.
Steve From Georgia
Monkey of Prey

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 13

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »

So I guess Geoff Johns and a handful of his buddies are going to be the only writers in the DC U?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
Duane Thomas
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »

Well, they've done such an excellent job so far, why not?

Kevin Findley
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »

That interview gives me just a little hope that there is a new DC Comic I'll read someday.  

I think someone on another forum nailed the reason behind this move:

I suspect writers improperly and excessively interfering with the management process.

BTW, on an unrelated(?) tangent, someone posted this, the New 52 version of Ma Hunkle:

So, um, yeah.  Between this an Amanda Waller, it really does look like there's a "No Fat Chicks" mandate in place at DC.

In other DC news, Rich Johnston thinks a shakeup at the very top of Warner might have implications for DC:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/16/how-the-warner-bros-shakeup-may-shakeup-dc-comics/

Paul Levitz was new CEO Kevin Tsujihara's guy before he moved on to a position that no longer gave him oversight of DC Comics.  So at the very least he has no particular ties to the current DC people, and does have ties to the guy they pushed out.

See What I Did There?

Duane Thomas
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »

Why? Just from looking at that one image, it seems to me the creators have misunderstood everything that made the original character charming. The original Red Tornado was very much the movie Ma Kettle in a homemade superhero suit. Tough, friendly, big, strong, overweight, plain-faced, brave, a low-paid scrubwoman, not the sharpest butter knife in the drawer but with a heart as big as all outdoors. The idea being that you don't need to be one of the beautiful people, you don't have to have a sexual fantasy body type, a beautiful face, a family fortune, a genius-level I.Q. or awesome super-powers (or any powers at all, actually) to put on a costume and fight for what's right. All you need is guts and a willingness to put yourself out there for other people.

Give Ma Hunkel a Playboy Playmate body, on a basic level she's no longer the same character.

Or were you not referring to that image at all, but the linked interview? In which I'd still ask: Why?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:37:05 AM by Duane Thomas » Logged

Kevin Findley
Shogun

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »

The interview and picture are from two different sources.  I just didn't delete the picture. 

Why?  The new CEO (due to prior relationship with Levitz) knows more about how to put out good comics than Didio and Co.  I'm not hoping Dr. Light and the Legion of Doom get fired, but it does appear now that they will have some adult supervision. 

See What I Did There?

Rex Dart
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 264

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »

The Red Tornado image comes from DC's "last two pages" promotional Channel 52 thing (this week, "Channel 2" as it's from Earth-2).  So it's possible the Ma Hunkle bit is supposed to be just a joke, but it's not always easy to tell what's supposed to be a joke and what's not on that feature.

"Stark always looks all sharp and neat but I put on a shirt with buttons and I look like that guy in that movie where he dies at the end."
    -- Clint Barton
CyberDramon
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 201

:D !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »

The Red Tornado image comes from DC's "last two pages" promotional Channel 52 thing (this week, "Channel 2" as it's from Earth-2).  So it's possible the Ma Hunkle bit is supposed to be just a joke, but it's not always easy to tell what's supposed to be a joke and what's not on that feature.

Maybe the feature is the joke?
Steve From Georgia
Monkey of Prey

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 13

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »

Well, they've done such an excellent job so far, why not?

I've enjoyed the New 52 writing but I would like to see variety (ie Chuck, Ed Brubaker, etc...) for new ideas and to keep the product fresh.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
Chuck
A River To My People!
Administrator
Shogun

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 11127

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »

No writer, including James Robinson, can do their best work under the conditions at DC.

Bane has two daddies.
Popa
A Refreshing Change of Pace

Dixonverse Karma Tally: 21

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »

The scary part is most anyone I talk to says DC is way better than Marvel to work for right now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: